Tuesday, July 05, 2016
The first panel is moving along, the purple is working better than I thought. And, I've started a bit of the second panel, to see how the orange looked. (I like it!)
from Facebook http://ift.tt/29jGyNo
Sunday, June 26, 2016
Thursday, June 23, 2016
I've started laying in the gold. Right now it takes about 40 minutes per row. That'll go faster as I go along. (Part of it is that I'm working in a hoop, instead of a frame. But there will be fiddly stuff later, that needs to be in a hoop)
from Facebook http://ift.tt/28ZTKCl
Friday, March 18, 2016
I've finished another of the weekly pieces. This one also has the back embroidered around the pin backing. This week willl be a week of getting pieces ready for display and sale. (Meaning, there will be outrageous amounts of detached butttonhole stitch. YAY!)(I sure know how to have fun, don't I?)
This week looks like it will also be a studio cleaning and rearranging kind of week. It definitely feels like spring, and I want to take advantage of the smell of new beginnings and the colors of new growth.
I spend so much time online, since that's where I get the majority of my inspiration, that I forget the visceral, commanding qualities of nature that also influence what I do. Sometimes it's good to give in to that wildness, and believe its promises.
Friday, March 04, 2016
Sunday, February 28, 2016
Friday, February 26, 2016
Monday, February 22, 2016
I normally avoid color combinations that are too expected. For example, in this piece, red white and blue. By using 2 kinds of red, and two kinds of blue I think I've avoided the pitfall of making this look like a flag.
It's good to remember that cliches are cliches for a reason. Red, white and blue are good heraldic colors. And there are reasons that they're so popular for national symbols.
Thursday, February 11, 2016
Tuesday, February 09, 2016
Saturday, February 06, 2016
Hi folks! I've finished off one of the weekly pieces and will be donating it to an auction to support City Year.
When I get more info, I'll post it here.
Info on the piece...
It's inspired by Australian Aboriginal art.
The pearls and silver cord represent some constellations of the southern hemisphere.
This only took 24 hours (I'm getting faster!)
Monday, February 01, 2016
Tuesday, January 26, 2016
The current illumination is almost done. I just have some erasing to do, the initial letters, and the shading of all the leaves and stuff. Later in February (I don't want to post the finished piece until the recipient has seen it) I'll post the finished picture.
Sunday, January 24, 2016
Saturday, January 23, 2016
I've added the pearls, and am almost ready to add the wire edging and cut this piece loose. I'll be working a lace edge around the piece to keep it feeling airy. There may be pearls in the lace, I'm not sure until I start stitching.
I'm very happy with the organic feel of the eyelets and french knots. I might need to make a big piece, like a necklace, on the same thought.
Friday, January 22, 2016
Thursday, January 21, 2016
The Kerouac/Walkabout piece is moving along nicely. It's taking longer than I thought it would (this really isn't a surprise) I am so pleased with how this base layer of work is coming out. It has a physical density that's just wonderful to hold. I am getting itchy to start the text layer of it, but that just has to wait at least for now.
Have a fabulous day!
Tuesday, January 19, 2016
Monday, January 18, 2016
Sunday, January 17, 2016
The Or Nué "Pelican in its piety" is finished!
150 hours of stitching
40-45 stitches per linear inch
26 rows per inch
6 1/8"x4 1/2" (15.6 cm x 11.3 cm)
Thread: 2 strands Sulky rayon
Gold: DMC 2 strands
Now to get started on the next ones.
Monday, January 04, 2016
I hope everyone has had a wonderful start to 2016. I spent New Year's eve the way I like, in the studio. I worked up a new brooch/pendant piece.
It's modeled after the Australian Aboriginal dot paintings. I used this combo of colors for the notebooks I did earlier. I like the juxtaposition of the earthy, organic feel of the dots against the formality of the Victorian leaf shape.
There's still a little fine tuning to do. I want to re-whip stitch the veins on the leaf with a lighter shade of teal, add the pin backing and embroider the back. I'm debating a delicate lace edge next to the leaf to emphasize the two parts of the piece.
On to more stitching! Ciao!