Friday, April 12, 2013

Basic brooch tutorial, 2

Hi Folks! And....we're back!
(as always, click on the picture for a bigger version)
Transfer the pattern to your fabric by your preferred method. (If I can figure out how to do it, I'll post a pdf of this, it's just a nice basic shape) In this case I'm using prick and pounce. I drew the pattern on to a piece of scrapbooker's parchment paper, poked holes with a thick needle, and then used sidewalk chalk, and a stiff brush to transfer the pattern. I then connected the dots with a white gel pen (I love those things) If I was only doing one of these brooches, I'd have used a piece of tissue paper, and just stitched through it. I'm outlining the pattern with two strands of floss, worked with split stitch. Go around the pattern twice, and keep the stitches close together. This step is reinforcing the edge as well as providing padding for the future buttonhole stitching. 

Take a short length of the wire (about 6-8 inches) and couch it down around the outer edge of the stitching. Make sure to 'snug it up' to the stitching. I use the rayon because it acts more like a flat thread, and pulls in tighter then most others. This is a personal choice, you may not notice a difference. 

Since I'm pulling the stitches so tightly, I've *heavily* waxed the thread, it helps, not perfect, but it helps. 

A couple notes...Plan on at least 12 stitches per inch, you want this well anchored. Also, watch for slipknots on the back, they will make you cry later. (Not that I've had this experience, nope) (What will happen is that the wire will spring off the fabric, after you cut the form loose. I've had this happen a few times.) And finally. Don't start the wire at a center point, or in a visually obvious location, when you join up the end, you'll likely have a small bump of stitching, if you center it, it sticks out like a sore thumb. 

More on Monday! Have a good weekend, everyone!


No comments: